“THE 3 THINGS” (CHE&S for Non-communicable Diseases-NCDs)
The 3 things” is a Community Health Education (CHE) approach based on HHS and WHO international guidelines for the prevention and treatment of the most common causes of unnecessary early death and suffering in the world–the NCDs (Heart disease, Stroke, Diabetes, Cancer, Dementia, Etc.).
–The lesson is primarily based on two illustrations: Illustration 3A leads people to ask “What are these 3 things that WE can do?” Illustration 3B provides the answers. See section 3A&B of the HEPFDC in all available languages on the DOWNLOAD FREE page.
–In addition, “The 3 Things” lesson can be used as the central theme for Community Health Education & Screening (CHE&S) and Health Fair events: See “THE 3 THINGS” WHO&HHS GUIDELINES and the following for further information:
A. FLYERS are used to advertise CHE&S events. Includes time and location as well as illustration 3A of “The 3 Things” lesson to begin to engage the community in the participatory learning process (What are these 3 things that WE can do?).
“THE 3 THINGS” FLYER- TEMPLATE English
“THE 3 THINGS” FLYER- TEMPLATE Spanish
B. POSTERS Double sided posters include both 3A and 3B illustrations. Illustration 3B provides the answers to “What are the 3 Things that WE can do?”
1. LETTER SIZE (8.5X11 Inch) PDF copies of “The 3 Things” lesson are used (often in notebooks, binders, and folders as well as on computer screens) for teaching individuals and families.
These illustration PDFs can also be downloaded and shown as large screen projections for large groups.
See Lesson 3A&B of the HEPFDC for copies of above in all available languages on the DOWNLOAD FREE page.
2. TABLOID SIZE (11X17 Inch) copies of “The 3 Things” lesson are used to teach groups (for Clinics, Schools and Churches as well as Health Fair settings).
“THE 3 THINGS” POSTERS (Tabloid Size-11×17 inches) English
“THE 3 THINGS” POSTERS (Tabloid Size-11×17 inches) French
“THE 3 THINGS” POSTERS (Tabloid Size-11×17 inches) Mandarin
“THE 3 THINGS” POSTERS (Tabloid Size-11×17 inches) Spanish
“THE 3 THINGS” POSTERS (Tabloid Size-11×17 inches) Russian
C. CHE&S RECORD
See CHE&S PATIENT RECORD—How it can be used
–This patient record is 4 pages (5.5 x 8.5 inch) color printed front and back (Inside and Outside) on a single 8.5×11 sheet that is folded in the middle.
–The record is given to the patient at the time of registration and is taken home with the patient at the time of discharge. This serves several very important functions:
–The illustrations provide additional reinforcement of the guidelines for patients to take with them to discuss with their family and friends.
–This also facilitates multiplication of the knowledge throughout the community. See the following for further information:
1. PATIENT CHE&S RECORD TEMPLATES (Include your own page 4 contact information):
PATIENT CHE&S RECORD-TEMPLATE English Inside&Outside (Pages 1 to 3). Include your own page 4 contact information.
PATIENT CHE&S RECORD-TEMPLATE Spanish Inside&Outside (Pages 1 to 3). Include your own page 4 contact information.
2. PATIENT RECORD PAGE 4 CONTACT INFORMATION EXAMPLES
PATIENT CHE&S RECORD-PAGE 4 EXAMPLE English (US Site-Outside Pages 1 & 4)
PATIENT CHE&S RECORD-PAGE 4 EXAMPLE Spanish (Mexico Site-Outside Pages 1 & 4)
D. HEALTHCARE PROVIDER HOLISTIC HEALTH SERVICES
These are summarized in CHE&S Holistic Health Services
E. CHE&S PROVIDER GUIDELINES & PATIENT COUNSELING FOLDERS (See Photo) In addition to a copy of the HEPFDC in their preferred language, folders are distributed to all In-country and US Team providers. Folder contents include:
1. Evidence-based WHO/HSS patient education/counseling materials on prevention and treatment of Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes, Cancer, Dementia and other conditions related to diet, exercise and tobacco use:
See Lessons 3A&B, 38, 39 & 41 of the HEPFDC in all the above languages on the DOWNLOAD FREE page
2. Body Mass Index, Diabetes, Hypertension, and other International and National Standards and Practice guidelines: Download free from III. OTHER NCD EDUCATION & SCREENING GUIDELINES & MATERIALS
3. Community Health Screening Indicators & Follow-up Form: See paragraph F below.
F. COMMUNITY HEALTH INDICATORS AND FOLLOW-UP FORM
–Enables local community leaders and health care organizations to identify most critically needed services, as well as topics to address at follow-up health meetings or health fairs for the community.
–Enables follow-up care for identified problems of individual participants.
COMMUNITY HEALTH SCREENING INDICATORS & FOLLOW-UP FORM
–For detailed information on the value of this form and how it is implemented see “Section V-2. Community Health Indicators Form Results” of the CHE&S GUIDELINES